Come on Over!
Wednesday, June 07, 2017
Are the relatives visiting and you’re wondering what to do? Do you want to take a vacation but not travel too far or spend too much? Well, come on over and let us entertain you in Miller, SD! Located at the intersection of State Highway 45 and U.S. Highway 14 lies a cool small town chock full of fun activities for the hot days of summer. A quick vacation trip to Miller will not disappoint and here’s why:
- Miller Golf Course offers a picturesque and challenging nine-hole course with water hazards in play on all nine holes. Located 1 mile North of Miller. For information go to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mid-way Drive-In brings in the latest movies in an outdoor movie setting. “See the stars from your cars.” Open Friday, Saturday, Sunday, & Monday nights from May through August. For more information go to www.midwaydrivein.info
- Miller Speedway hosts some of the best racing in the state! Races will be held on Friday nights in May (and Aug. 18th) and Sunday nights in June, July and August. Additional races will be held on these Saturdays: June 24th, July 22nd, and August 12th. *Monday race on July 3rd. www.millercentralspeedway.com
- Hand Co Library Summer Reading Program Kick-off is June 5th with story-time and activities planned for Wednesdays @ 4:00 p.m. thru July.
- Miller’s 4th of July Celebration – is a blast – literally! This year the parade, park activities and fireworks will take place on July 1, 2017. Go to www.millersd.org for a listing of all the events taking place that weekend.
- Miller Crazy Days are slated to take place on July 22, 2017. Stores offer great bargains and Miller C & C provides free school supplies at each store!
- Summer Nights in the Park sponsored by Central Plains Arts Council, is a great place to bring your lawn chair and enjoy the beauty of Crystal Park while listening to great entertainment. 2nd Thursdays of June, July and August.
- Miller Crystal Park continues to be a great place for picnics, playground exploration, camping (free), entertainment (Summer Nights in the Park) and now Frisbee Golf! Check it out!
- Farmers Market open on Friday nights @ 5:00 p.m. July 21-August 25th at the DeGeest building close to the 4-way stop. Enjoy produce from some of the green thumbs in our area!
- McWhorter Museum connects us with our past as we move into the future. The McWhorter Museum has a wonderful collection of antiques and collectables that are on loan or have been donated. Call 853-2268 for a tour.
- Lake Louise State Park located Northwest of Miller, has 38 well-shaded campsites and paved pads. Fishing piers and boating ramps provide great fishing opportunities.
- Jones Lake is located just South of Miller and also provides great fishing opportunities.
- Rough Rider Association- NBHA sanctioned Barrel Races starting at noon on July 15th, August 8th, and August 26th (Pee Wee Barrel Racing also) at the Miller Rough Rider Arena. Membership is not required to participate. Bean Bag Tournament on August 11th @ 7 p.m. at the Miller Rough Rider Arena.
- Miller Swimming Pool – Features a 141 foot slide and a kiddie pool. Season passes available and reasonable daily rates. Water aerobics, lap swimming and swimming lessons are also available. For more information call 853-3977
- Summer Recreational Activities including camps and workshops – More information is available at www.millersd.org
And that’s not all! Miller boasts great restaurants, shopping opportunities AND a friendly community that loves visitors. Dig out the sunscreen, grab some swimwear, sunglasses and money. Then get ready to have summer fun in Miller! Come on over and stay for awhile!
Category: From the Desk of Tammy Caffee